Monday, February 10, 2014

Are Women Finally Getting a Break?

Are Women Finally Getting a Break? Most women will argue that men have it a lot easier than women. Let’s face it, PMS, shaving your legs and bikini line, and having a baby are just a few of the things men don’t have to deal with. Women may even pay twice as much, or more, for short-term disability insurance. However, when it comes to auto insurance, we women actually have an advantage over men. This is because, generally speaking, men pay more for auto insurance than women Insurance companies see men as a higher risk for accidents than women. A National Department of Transportation study entitled “Sex of Drivers Involved in Crashes 2000-2009” found that male drivers were involved in some 18 million more accidents than female drivers during that same period. Statistics also show that more men than women are involved in DWI related crashes. Men are also statistically more aggressive drivers, and drive at a higher rate of speed. It’s also been shown that men are involved in more serious accidents than women, causing more damage, therefore costing the insurance companies more money. More money paid out by the insurance companies translates to higher premiums for men. The gap does close after the age of 25, which is when the insurance companies feel that men are starting to mature, which I’m sure many of you beg to differ. There are other factors involved in auto insurance rating, such as credit, territory, driving experience, and loss history. However, if these factors are the same for a man and a woman, the man could still be paying a higher premium. This is simply because statistically, he’s more aggressive, drives at a higher rate of speed and is more likely to be involved in a DWI related accident. Are all men more aggressive and reckless drivers than the women in their lives? Heck no! I remember the first time my guy rode with me, and he kept slamming on the “brake” on the passenger’s side. He may even have worn a hole in the floor mat on that little ride in he country. Needless to say, I haven’t been the driver since…. Yes, he revoked my driving privileges to any event which would require him to be a passenger in the vehicle. After a short interchange of words (him talking, me giggling) I promptly surrendered my keys, even though I’d like to step on the gas when he’s driving to push him along and through those yellow lights. Am I a bad driver? NO! I’m just a little more aggressive driver than he is. Unfortunately for him, statistics show that more accidents have a man behind the wheel than a woman. Given those facts, most insurance companies view women as lower risk clients. Therefore, his auto insurance premium is higher than mine. Score one for me! Hey, since I’m not going to see him suffer through a PMS headache or perimenopause symptoms anytime soon, I may as well enjoy the fact that he’s paying a little more for his auto insurance based on the simple fact that he’s a man. If you have any questions regarding this article feel free to send me an e-mail at ellenquimby@gmail.com, or find me on Facebook as Ellen L. Quimby, Property & Casualty Agent-Broker.

2 comments: